Thursday, August 12, 2010

Where Are They Now???? TJ "Bruzer" Cruz


"Bruzer", a Taos, NM native, joined the New Mexico Renegades during their inaugural season as a 20-year-old WHILE attending UNM's Engineering program full-time.  It was his final season of junior hockey eligibility. TJ is a very responsible and respectful young adult.  He's a model citizen for all and a true gentleman...except when you ask him to drop the gloves.

No one, not even Renegade head coach Peter Ambroziak, has ever seen a player drop the gloves more quickly.  For clarification, "drop the gloves" does not mean going out and gooning it up in this post.  I mean the act of dropping your gloves and taking off your helmet before a fight.  No one is aware how he does it. You might need a video or demonstration to understand, but it is an incredible feat.  His helmet and gloves come off quicker than you can clap your hands, and don't forget he had to wear a cage.  That's Bruzer though, he would stand up for anyone on the team.

Anyway, I got the chance to catch up with TJ.  I had not talked to him since the season's end. He had a few things to say:

New Mexico Renegades: Bruzer, the man, the myth, the legend, what have you been up to this off-season?

Thomas Joseph Cruz: I have been taking summer classes, playing men's league and just trying to live the dream.  What about you?

NMR: Well my life consists of mowing lawns in high heat, ordering kids around at birthday parties, handing out shoes, playing hockey and lifting large pieces of metal over my body at a consistent pace. So what are your plans for next year?

TJC: I am going to return to UNM for my junior year and focus solely on school.  Once I have a few more Engineering courses under my belt I will be eligible for a lot of great internships next summer, so right now my focus is on life after hockey.

NMR: I've heard Engineering is a profitable future.  What are your plans after graduation?

TJC: I am considering joining the United States Marines Pilot Training Program.  It will be the best way for me to get my foot into the door.  I would love to work in the military's Weapons Design program. Yours?

NMR: Mine are get rich.  I have not figured out how though, I heard the lottery pays well. Way to use that intelligence though, so what did your year with the Renegades teach you?

TJC: “It was a great experience to see what competitive hockey was all about. I learned a lot about responsibility and time management when it came to school, work and hockey. It takes a lot of hard work to achieve anything in life, like hockey, to play pro or NCAA requires a lot of effort. To succeed in college or your professional career is the same thing.”

NMR: And what did you think of Coach Pete Ambroziak?

TJC: “Pete is just an amazing coach who knows what he is doing and what it takes to be successful. He is the real deal.”

So that's it.  Looks like "Bruzer" is trading in the boxing gloves for books.  We all know he will be successful, but I think it is still corteous to wish him good luck.  Keep checking in as the next up is Admiral Daren Glover.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who We Are

The New Mexico Renegades Tier III Junior "A" program competes in the Mid-West division of the WSHL. Coach Peter Ambroziak, along with his wife Maryanne Ambroziak, own and operate the junior team. The Ambroziak family is dedicated to helping you progress to the Tier II Junior "A", ACHA and NCAA levels of hockey.



Visit http://www.nmrenegades.com/ to find out how you can become a Renegade!