Friday, August 20, 2010

Daren Glover-Where Are They Now???

Yesterday, I got the opportunity to catch up with "The Admiral" (Thank you for the nickname Derek Pellett). 

Daren was the 2009-10 Renegade Captain.  The responsible two-way center, who not only received a college offer (which he subsequently turned odwn), he also received the task of organizing and disciplining a large group of wily rookies.  Needless to say, he had a fun time.  I got the opportunity to know him away from the rink very well though, because he slept, ate, watched movies and stored his armory of bows and arrows ten feet away from me in our billet home, the Blairs.

"Gloves" is an interesting person needless to say. While most other 20 year-olds are attached to iPhones and Facebook, Glover was different.  Sort of an "American Man", because if it wasn't hockey or hunting, it probably did not interest him too much (He especially, without ever seeing it, hated "The Hangover")

Herbert Kyles: So Glover, what are your whereabouts?

Admiral Glover: Gunnison, Colorado

HK: Good ol' Gunny as you and Elich called it.  What are you doing there?

AG: I'm kayaking and preparing for hunting season, while working at Gene Taylor's Sporting Goods.  And you?

HK: I'm GTL (Gym, Tan, Laundry for you non-Jersey Shorers)...just kidding, you know me.  Hockey, attempting to get ripped, working.  So, now that time has passed, could you give us some words on this past season?

AG: It was great.  Our record may not have been the strongest, but you don't remember the games, you remember the people.

HK: What do you think about the 2010-11 season?

AG: I look forward to seeing the talent that Pete brings in.  It should be an exciting season.

HK: Deep words, so the question everyone wants to know.  Rumor on the street is you're retired.  I'm going to be straightforward, what are your plans for next year?

AG: Well, I will be joining the staff of the New Mexico Renegades in a soon to be announced coaching and instructional position.

HK: Congratulations!  So do you have any idea what you will be doing?

AG: All I can tell you is that I will bring a coaching style that compliments Pete's.  I will do everything and anything I can to benefit the program.  I want to help build a great foundation for the program and develop a WSHL Dynasty.

HK: That's awesome.  Do you want hockey and coaching to be your life?

AG: I don't know.  We will find out, but I think I could have a future in it.

HK: And what do you think of Coach Ambroziak?

AG: Great coach. He knows the game. He knows the little things and the skills to excel.

HK: Thanks for your time, and let me know when you get a chance to read this.

AG: It won't be Friday, I have a big fishing trip.

Thanks Glover.  And it looks like the New Mexico Renegades family will be seeing more of "Chippy" (I heard he fixed the tooth).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who We Are

The New Mexico Renegades Tier III Junior "A" program competes in the Mid-West division of the WSHL. Coach Peter Ambroziak, along with his wife Maryanne Ambroziak, own and operate the junior team. The Ambroziak family is dedicated to helping you progress to the Tier II Junior "A", ACHA and NCAA levels of hockey.



Visit http://www.nmrenegades.com/ to find out how you can become a Renegade!